Sunday, June 04, 2006

A horse called Barbaro.

Like most people who watch horse racing, I tune into the Kentucky Derby about 15 minutes before the race. Typically, I like to watch the second leg of the Triple Crown (the Preakness Stakes) to see if this year's Kentucky winner will continue the quest to become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed. But, like many "fans," if a horse falls out of competition for the illustrious prize, I'm out. The Belmont is but a blip on my sports radar, and I don't want to hear about it anymore - not 'till next year, anyway.

Adding to my disinterest is my profound lack of love for most animals. If it doesn't weigh about 70 lbs and can't fetch a stick or go for rides in my car, I probably don't care. Horses typically don't fulfill any of the three requirements listed above, and are more useful for Jell-O, glue, dog food and, in desperate times, meat. I suppose bow material for stringed instruments is also valid.


Coming soon, Elmer's Glue, Special Barbaro Edition. For a limited time only.


There are, however, some people who feel differently than me regarding this subject. These people believe Barbaro, who destroyed his leg (see below) leaving the gate at this year's Preakness, is some type of savior horse. On the contrary, this horse was too stupid to not break his own leg and almost died (and still may). Some savior.

Would you want to live if your leg looked like that after surgery?


Shifting gears, I'd like to comment on the idiocy of some horse racing fans (likely children, who are themselves too stupid to realize horses can't read and other obsessive-compulsive-delusional types who should know better). Do you think horses can read? Or being optimistic, understand spoken English? Give me a freakin' break! "Get well Barbaro!" "Good luck Barbaro!" What's wrong with you people?! The only thing possibly going through a horses head, other than routine sexual impulses, is probably the desire (and notice I did not use the word "thought")to eat, sleep and shit. These natural instincts do not require self-awareness - reading, and more importantly, understanding sympathy from others, do. When the little jockey guy shows up to say hi and express his best wishes, the closest thing the horse experiences to awareness is nothing more than a Pavlovian response to stimulation - lets race!

I didn't know horses could read!?


The only "idea" a horse has: flowers = food. As an aside, I wish my room was that nice.


Stop talking about Barbaro on the radio. Take the crappy trying-to-feel-good story off of Sportscenter and the evening news, and get back to real stories and real injuries to real people, like Albert Pujols. Now that makes me upset.

No comments: