Saturday, April 15, 2006

Walking on (thin) ice.

I miss winter already...


Recently, an oceanographer from Florida State U declared that Jesus may not have walked on water as described in three of the four gospels found in the Bible, but instead stood on freak "spring ice."

According to Professor Doron Nof, a colder-than-average period in northern Isreal existed between 1500 and 2600 years ago, and this could have produced ice thick enough to support a man. Nof says, "Because the size of the springs ice, a person standing or walking on it would appear to a distant observer to be 'walking on water'."

I'm not attempting to get into a giant truth or fiction debate with myself here, but only attempting to consider the possiblities...

I'm finally working. Lately, I've been building, repairing, and maintaining hiking trails for Jefferson County Open Spaces. I work four ten-hour days, which, when translated into actual hours worked, is closer to about six and a half. I've realized that what you hear about county workers is, by and large, true. When I do work, I really enjoy it. Today I built a bridge. Probably not up to "code" as some of my engineering friends would say, the bridge will support people and only be about 3 feet above the ground, which for about 6 weeks each year, is covered by a stream.

I also work at 24 hour fitness. I answer the phone, check IDs with a scanner, and accept payments from guests. I rarely leave the front desk. If anyone needs a secretary, please contact me. I work for anything above $7 an hour (as long as it includes a gym pass).

Finally, I'm beginning to reconsider my haughty prediction of Rockies baseball greatness this season. I may have to push that back a year.

2 comments:

Brett said...

Jesus either walked on water, or the story's a total fiction. There's no "maybe it was ice" BS that can go on here. The disciple dudes were in a Ship, and Jesus came walking toward 'em, and his buddy went after him, and his buddy was sinking, and Jesus was like 'dude, buddy, have faith, don't sink' and Jesus helped his buddy up.

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»